Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Her First Fight

Today I was asked to sign my second accident report at school. The first one happened a few weeks ago when she wound up with a decent bump on her head due to falling while playing in one of the kid's kitchen sets in the classroom. It was no biggie, but the school still documents every incident.

I met the teacher in the hallway as I walked in and she began to show me the newest accident report and tell me what happened. Apparently Harper was sitting next to a little boy. She touched him for some reason, and he responded by scratching her. Now, as to what exactly the incident was over, I have no idea. Whether they were fighting over a toy or he didn't want her touching him... who knows. She cried, and they cleaned up her face and all was fine again.
She has two scratches that broke the skin, including one really long one. Another scratch below one eye, and, as I found tonight at bath time, several smaller scratches on her neck. Apparently this was quite the brawl!

It really doesn't bother me that she was scratched or that she had an incident with a classmate. She's at an age where she's learning to share, to interact with peers, to experience growing with others her own age. Disagreements are a part of life and can be a great time of learning for everyone - not just kids.

However, I can't stop thinking that Daddy's going to have to teach our girl how to fight back. ;)


Here's the long scratch next to her ear, as well as a nice one under her eye.


The second scratch that broke the skin. Also, notice all the red marks on her neck.

2 comments:

mamabear113 said...

Poor baby! Naomi used to get scratches all the time (self-inflicted) and right before we were having pictures taken. Naomi's issues at daycare was getting bitten. I know what it feels like to want her to fight back but it was such a conflict. I didn't want to tell her to bite back but I didn't want her to think that it was okay for someone to do that. We bascially told her to tell the child, "We don't bite our friends, we bite the food.." LOL I don't know...

Seems like Harper is faring well st school though!

Maribeth

The Hanes Fam said...

Oh yeah, I was tongue-in-cheek about having Daddy teach her how to fight back. We definitely don't want her doing it, and we know there's plenty of supervision to prevent serious injury in a confrontation.

She's doing great!! Growing leaps and bounds it seems!