Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 4, 2010

28 Weeks

I had my 28 week appointment today to check on the baby and begin the monitoring for the third trimester. I also had my 1-hour glucose test today to test for gestational diabetes. I hate drinking that stuff, and today's experience was only improved an iota over last time with the drink being "fruit punch" flavored instead of "orange soda". Both are terrible if you ask me, but I realize it's a necessary evil. The blood draw was quick and painless, so that was a bonus.
We had to wait a while because apparently the sonogram room was a busy place today. I'd expect our appointments to be a lot like this from here on out. On Mondays the sono room is kind of on a first come, first served basis since the tech is off, which means there are no scheduled appointments, and you kind of have to wait your turn. On the other hand, it means my doctor will be doing all of our sonograms, which is a comfort.

We finally got in, and got a great look at the baby. The doctor asked if we needed to confirm the gender, and I chimed in with "well, you know us pregnant women and our irrational fears... YES PLEASE!!" So confirm he did, as much as doctors will these days. Not wanting to be liable for any mistake, he said he wouldn't offer us 100%, but would give us 99.9999% that he's definitely a boy. Good enough. :)

He did all sorts of measurements again, just to see how the growth is going. Now, keep in mind that I'm 28 weeks along.

Head - currently measuring 32 weeks
Abdomen - currently measuring 33 weeks
Femur - currently measuring 28 weeks
We had a good laugh that the baby will be a bit top heavy once he's born. Of course, we're still expecting things to even out a bit, but knowing I'm still 4 weeks ahead, that hope is dimming a bit. We might have a very big boy on our hands!

Further proof - Dr. White couldn't believe the size of his chubby cheeks! He said it's pretty uncommon to see such roundness this early. Makes me very thankful that I have a c-section in my future. :)

Dr. White confirmed what I've been feeling with the baby being so "high", especially compared to Harper. He's currently in a breach position, and in fact while we were looking at him, he was folded in half with his feet up by his hands! That explains all the action I feel at my ribs all the time. I can tell he occasionally unfolds and kicks/hits me lower in the belly, but for the most part, he's happy hanging out way up high. Such a different experience than with Harper when she was literally all over the place, especially kicking really low.

So far so good on fluid levels. In fact, he said it appeared that I had so much amniotic fluid that he didn't do any active measuring. I go every 2 weeks from here on out, until the final month when I go weekly and as I've mentioned before, I'll have a sonogram at every appointment. It makes for long appointments, but I really wouldn't turn down any opportunity to see this sweet baby.

We got a great picture of his face printed, but I still need to scan it. Once I do, I'll post it here.

No comments: