Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, April 7, 2008

Holding Harper

Jon got to hold Harper for the first time today. I got the opportunity to hold her last night unexpectedly. I had actually turned the nurse down initially because Jon was at home working hard on his paper for class. I didn't want him to miss it, but the nurse looked at me and said "c'mon... don't miss this!" So Harper and I had a blast. Well, I had a blast. She just enjoyed being held by her mommy while she snoozed away.

Today we finally got "touch times". Times that Harper's nurse has given us when we can go in and help change her diaper, be there when she's awake, and sometimes even hold her. We got to both hold her today, and I took about a billion pictures of Jon holding her for the first time. She was WIDE awake and we got some good pictures of her with her eyes open. We just went back this evening hoping to get a glimpse of her sweet face while they changed the mask, but the nurse was ahead of us and we just missed it. But she was wide awake again, so we enjoyed seeing her and talking to her. She turns her head towards us when we each talk, which makes us beam with pride.

Update for today: She's much less fussy when they move her, change her mask, etc... And tonight the nurse said she's hoping the doctor will allow her to go on just the nasal cannula, which would mean she wouldn't have all that ugly equipment all over her head. We're really hoping they try again and that Harper doesn't get too tired this time around.

She down an ounce from her birth weight to 5.1 but losing weight is normal for any newborn and she's eating a bunch. They increased her feedings slightly again today, so they're definitely trying to fatten her up! We're thrilled though.

I'm being discharged tomorrow, so it will be a big adjustment to not be right down the hall from her anymore. I think I will be spending a lot of time at Jon's parent's house in between her "touch times" and things in order to stay nearby.

We are SO THANKFUL for all of the prayers and well wishes. They truly mean so much. And please keep them coming! Everyone is encouraged by the strides she's making and we know so much is due to the Lord being gracious in making our daughter strong. Thank you to everyone who is being so faithful to remember our family in your prayers. It truly means the world to us.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! I love the pictures. Especially the one of her eyes wide open and Jon looking at her. She is beautiful, a great mix of you two. Robert said he remembers Talin being in the NICU with a CPAP on and feeling helpless. He wanted me to tell you that the Lord knows what He is doing and has a reason and a purpose. And it won't be long until she is home with you two and growing stronger everyday. He said to send you pictures of Talin from when he was born and now. But I know that you remember what it was like when he was born and now he is a wild 3 year old.
Are hearts go out to Jon and you. It gets better and is something you will cherish the rest of your life. Harper and you two are in our prayers.
The boys have been praying too before they go to bed for Harper. They love seeing pictures of her everyday.
Holly you always amaze me how you are so wonderful at keeping everyone updated and in touch with everything that is going on. Where do you find the strength? Especially after a c-section?
You are truly one that I want to be like.

I Love You more than words can express,

Christin xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys!! That beautiful face of hers. I'm loving the pics w/ Jon. Holly I know you where snapping away :) God bless you guys. Later!!

Unknown said...

I love the one of you holding Harper... just precious!
You can just see you beaming with joy.... really beautiful.

Harper is a lucky little girl to have parents as special as you and Jon!

Anonymous said...

She sure knows her mommy and daddy.
I love the picture of her looking at the camera with her eyes open. You can see her smiling through her eyes. She is saying "thanks guys" I love you.
I'll keep praying you keep doing what you are doing so well.
Bless you - Numbers 6:24-26
Roberta

Jenny said...

God is so good!

Beautiful pictures! :)