Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day. Though we're not Irish (at least not very much), we enjoy celebrating it by wearing green and yesterday was no exception.

Daddy got the kids dressed and ready in the morning. I had purchased Jasper's outfit last year on clearance at Walmart while he was still in the NICU and I found Harper's this year for $4, also at Walmart. They were both too cute, I can guarantee this will not be the last time they wear them!



That evening I was wondering what I was going to make for dinner. I hadn't thought of it much ahead of time, but I remember my mom always making corned beef (I don't remember the cabbage part) and she always used food coloring to make everything extra green, like our drink and our butter for the rolls. I always loved it, and it's something I want to continue to do for our family. I was searching for something easy (and fast!) to make that I could dye green, and realized macaroni and cheese would be perfect! Not the most healthy dinner, but I usually add peas to it, and a little unhealthy dinner once in a while doesn't kill us.

While the water was boiling, I had an inspiration: Green eggs and ham!! I knew I had to make that, since ham and eggs with various extras is a breakfast favorite in our house. I continued to make the mac and cheese in case Harper was too scared to try the green eggs. Also because Jasper is really picky about his eggs, though mac and cheese is a pretty good guarantee. Harper questioned it once I put it on the plate, but once I reminded her I was making something green for dinner, she asked "eggs??", then dug right in! She especially loved the toast with green butter and the green milk. I was so relieved. True to form, Jasper only ate a few bites of the eggs, so we moved on to the mac and cheese and he became adequately green pretty quickly.

It was such a fun and different thing to do, and extremely easy. Maybe some day I will come up with something a little more involved, but for this working mama with very limited time in the evenings, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Just check out those faces for yourself!



All our green.

I remembered the green plate and green fork, but completely forgot the green cup. Silly Mommy. Here she is modeling her hat she made at school.


Green tongue!


Giving the mac and cheese a try after she finished her eggs.


1 comment:

Dre said...

Now that looks like a party!