Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Good Eats

Seemingly overnight Jasper has turned into a self feeder. The transition to self feeding is a tricky one for me. On one hand it's harder because pureed food is easier to freeze and store and keep on hand. Plus I can also keep plenty of store bought jarred foods on hand for short notice and being out and about. On the other hand, self feeding provides a lot more variety for him to try and I can usually feed he and Harper the same things, just with his cut up into much smaller pieces.

As I've stated a thousand times before, I do not cook, though I am really trying to enjoy it more. Being a working mommy of two little ones and having Daddy gone 5 nights of the week, dinner is typically throwing together something quick. Though quick does not always have to mean unhealthy. The other day I found some all natural chicken breast on sale, so I chopped it up. I had cooked some sweet potatoes to have on hand, so I cubed half of it. I've been finding great deals on blueberries lately, so I've been giving the kids some with almost every meal. I quartered up some of those for a little dessert (though he ate those first of course).

Harper had the exact same thing, except I sliced the other half of the sweet potato into "fries" and left the chicken in bigger chunks. I typically would have given her some ranch to dip things in, but she we was still getting over a tummy bug so I wanted things bland. I also didn't give her any blueberries, but she wasn't too hungry and didn't mind anyway.

As you can see from the pictures below, he ate every last bit of his dinner. Among some of his other faves are veggie patties, carrots, corn, bananas, and cereal bars. He also likes the Gerber toddler meals which Harper always refused to eat. He is still a little iffy about peas sometimes, and he doesn't love pasta yet but I haven't found too many other things he doesn't like. I hope it stays this way!

1 comment:

heather said...

my kids loved cubed firm tofu at this age