Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

You Are Special Today

One of my special memories as a kid is our "You are special today" plate. When one of us had a special occasion such as a birthday or accomplishing something good at school, my mom would bring out the You are special today plate. To be honest, it didn't get used all that often because it was put away - out of site, out of mind.

A few years ago my mom gave my sister and I each one to use in our homes with our families and I thought it was one of the nicest gifts I'd ever gotten. Still do!

Sadly, ours has been put away - out of site, out of mind. And I've forgotten to use it on some of those special occasions. While looking for bowls to set out on Harper's birthday, I saw the plate in the box and got so excited - what a perfect occasion to use the plate for the first time! The plate comes with a pen to commemorate each occasion, and it's so fun to see "4/4/09 - Harper's First Birthday" written as the first entry on the back.


I vow to use the plate more often, even if for no occasion at all - which seem to be the best occasions!!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like it. where do you find said plate?

The Hanes Fam said...

I thought my mom got them at Hallmark, but a quick search yielded no such results. I will ask her and get back to you!

Oliver and Nicole said...

We have that plate too! But we just use it when we run out of regular plates and the dishwasher hasn't been run yet... Not quite as sentimental, huh?! Occasionally, though, Oliver or I will use it for the other when we're preparing dinner, just to be sweet. They should make a plastic version for kids.

Unknown said...

What a great family tradition!!

heather said...

Holly, I loved this idea so much that I wanted to run right out and buy one. Being a bargain shopper like you I scoured the internet for different prices, which were a lot for a plate. Then I looked on Craigslist and found one in my neighborhood brand new for $8!!! I snapped it up! Thanks for sharing. Apparently my husband's grandma had this when he was little so he was glad I got one : )