Harper

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Jasper

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fourth Anniversary

Jon and I just celebrated our fourth anniversary. We say it every year, we can't believe all that we've done in the (almost) five years we've been together.

We're doing our best to pinch pennies as always (almost debt-free...woohoo!), and we don't have to exchange lavish gifts for anniversaries, so we hadn't planned anything major.

We had planned a date night the Friday before. Nana came to babysit, and we were beyond excited to be getting out of the house without any kids. We got the kids all ready for bed and said our goodbyes, got in the car and looked forward to our evening. Little did we know that some evil force was intent on keeping us from getting there. Traffic was unbelievable and every which way we tried to go was completely backed up. Then we realized we didn't have any cash to park, and then we couldn't find an atm to get cash to park! (Note to self: to fill a major void, open a bank near the ballpark). Of course it ended up being a record-short game, and when we finally got there, it was the top of the 6th inning! We really tried to take the whole evening in stride, and made the most of it... though we both admitted it was far from our dream "date" night out.

The night of our actual anniversary was supposed to be like any other. We had planned to have some of our favorite soup and crusty bread to dip in it for dinner, and I had planned a secret dessert surprise. When I pulled up to Nana and Papa's house to get Jasper after work, Jon's car was there. oh boy. I knew immediately he had something up his sleeve -- he's usually still sleeping at this time. And what a surprise!!! He and Nana had conspired together to have she and Papa watch the kids while he and I went to an early dinner at Buca di Beppo! And as their gift to us (as if them watching the kids wasn't gift enough!), they gave us a gift card to pay for dinner with. Such a blessing!!! We had a really wonderful dinner and it was such a nice evening to make up for our bust of a date night the week prior.

Here is us at dinner. Not the best picture, and if I could change anything, I would've had more makeup on and fixed my hair. :) Ahhh, such is life with a surprise dinner after a day of work.



He also got me flowers -- my favorite: lilies and roses. Just like my bouquet 4 years before.


The only thing I insisted on at dinner was that he not order dessert. I still wanted it to be a surprise, so I didn't tell him what I had planned. The traditional gift for the 4th anniversary is fruit and flowers. I am a sentimental romantic, so I wanted to try to incorporate this somehow. We both love chocolate, and of course who could forget our amazing chocolate fondue fountain from our wedding, so I thought chocolate fondue with amazing fruit would be perfect!


Needless to say, he loved it!


Oh, and yeah, I did too.



Umm yeah, we made a really good dent.

Happy Anniversary to us!

No comments: